23.3.06

Frisbees and Mangos

We just got home from playing Ultimate Frisbee in south Jakarta. I have been going for the past couple of months with some other teachers from school. Leah started going these last couple of weeks. It is a sport that I never thought I would get into but it is a lot of fun. It rained throughout the entire practice which was nice because it really helps cool things down. You just have to forget the fact that it is most likely acid rain. Leah went straight to bed and as usual I am wide awake and hungry.

My appetite has really increased as of late. Especially since I have become involved in so many sports. I am playing Frisbee, coaching and playing soccer. I am even golfing every once in a while. Actually we have a half day tomorrow and a bunch of the guys are going golfing. It should be fun. Sadly though, between figuring out how to do my job and the increase of activity I am finding less time for actually playing music. I do not feel bad though because I have been craving the bass so much lately that I know as soon as I get my bass back I will definitely play again. It always kind of scared me to get a real job because I wondered how bass playing would be affected. So many people especially music teachers get a job and then give up playing their instruments for any number of reasons. I always hoped, and I guess, still hope that it will not happen to me.

Anyway, we have an exciting couple of weeks ahead. On Saturday we leave for the Phillipines for a week over our spring break. It is a mixture of break and work. The first four days we are spending time in Puerto Galera and the last three days we will be attending a huge teaching conference for overseas teachers. It should be pretty fun and if not at least interesting. Plus the school pretty much paid for this trip. They paid for our plane tickets which was $500 each plus our registration to the conference. We have to pay for hotels but that’s not so bad. I am looking forward to this trip. Especially because mangos are not in season here in Indonesia right now but apparently they never go out of season in the Phillipines and to top it off, everyone says they have the best mangos in the world. I don’t know if you understand but mangos are my favorite fruit ever.

The weekend after we get back from the Phillipines is a three day weekend, thanks to some unpronounceable Muslim holiday. We are going with some friends to the island of Lombok. It is supposedly what Bali was about 20 years ago. The weekend after that is another three day weekend because of Good Friday(I might have those two weekends confused), we are going to Bali for an Ultimate Frisbee tournament. It is going to be a good couple of weeks of insane traveling but well worth it. After those weeks it is a straight shot until summer. We will be counting down the days until we can see our new nephew Kade, and of course everyone else as well.

With all of these new photo opportunities coming up, I realized that our past photos have fallen behind. I just posted all new pics (almost 400) of our trip to Cambodia. Hopefully before we leave for the Phillipines I can get the pics from Vietnam and Thailand up as well. If you have forgotten the website is http://homepage.mac.com/doublebassface22

I don’t have much else to tell you. I hope everyone is doing well. Please keep in touch even if it is just an email that’s says hello. We miss you all a lot and will talk to you soon. I have to get to bed soon. I have kindergarteners at 8am tomorrow.

Love,
Grant and Leah
(sorry, no good photos to post)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun on all your trips. Ultimate frisbee is great. I played many times in college with the other recreation students. I can't believe we all never played, I guess sardines and capture the flag were too fun to replace with frisbee. Have fun!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some Filipino words but I'm sure you won't need to say "fart" or "thing" or "stinky" to anyone while you're there.

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why are you always trying to outshine leah's blog, grant? gosh.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home