25.1.06

cold wind


aduh (that is an indonesian sigh of weariness)

well...we just finished an exhausting and occassionally annoying two days of parent teacher conferences. it is strange dealing with asian parents. the indonesian parents don't come, the indian parents expect you to do tons of extra work because "the work is too easy for their child" (then they proceed to tell you how you could teach the class better), the koreans listen quietly and yell at their kids the second they walk out the door, and the chinese assume you know what is best for their child. i can't complain though, i only had a few parents come talk to me. leah actually has to deal with that stuff all the time.

sorry it has been so long since the last time we blogged but with all the vacationing we did, when we returned we realized that our jobs actually required us to do something. so we have been trying to play catch-up the last two weeks. plus we are trying to play get ahead because, sorry to say, we have a four day weekend starting friday for the chinese new year. we are heading off to bali for a little r and r after an really difficult two weeks. our lives are so hard. (that was sarcasm) we are definately enjoying our time here.

i am working, albeit slowly, on the ultimate blog for our christmas trip. i also need to work on good titles for the pics that we post. i got a lot of comments from people about how great they were. however, please understand, it takes hours upon hours to achieve greatness.

we are getting excited. the upcoming birth of our new nephew is...up...and...coming. his name is to be kade and it shall stand for greatness and well being for all humankind. i think it is important to set high standards for kids. who cares if he isn't even born yet.

the otherday i got yelled at by my bahasa teacher. i felt like a terrible person. he told me i need to spend more time studying so here i am asking lilis (start recognizing that name because i don't want to say maid) silly questions that don't even have answers.

i am really into music right now. my fingers are itching for the bass and my ears are yearning for more anything. the tastes of this week are brahms piano trio no. 1 (my friend kate reminded me how good it is), bill evans trio- sunday at the village vanguard (they weren't standards until this recording plus it is scott lafaro's last recording), the arcard fire- (one of my minneapolis favorites but recently came back into my playlist, i also just bought a recording of them performing with david bowie and an ep with the singer's grandfather's (rey alvino) song-super good), sufjan steven- come on feel the illinois (also super good and it reminds me of home with songs about john wayne gacy and the such). lots of others as well. those are just the favorites this week.

i have been reading the wild sheep chase by haruki murikami. not as good as the wind-up bird chronicles but how can you go from reading an authors most profound and complex masterpiece to reading his first novel ever. oh well. aside from that i have just been reading bahasa books trying to figure this language out. i have one now that is all slang so maybe i can finally talk to the ojek guys (you know who that is if you've read the first blog).

ok...i am just rambling now. leah is doing well she and her friend cindy hangout all of the time and when they are not together they are texting each other. i guess i don't mind. she is pretty happy and they get along well.

we are in the process of booking tickets home. i am excited to see everyone soon. plus my parents are going to come visit us at the beginning of the summer. hopefully they won't be the only ones. seriously...if you can get tickets, once you are down here you don't need to spend much.

well...if anyone besides my parents reads this, please email us back or post something. even just a hello. we miss everyone a ton.

grant and leah

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!
That's such an awesome pic of you two on the bike! I read your blog all the time. (well, everytime you post...) I know it's hard to keep in touch so I give you props Grant.
As for Leah... how dare you "text" with another girl! How come we never "texted". I miss you so much but I'm glad to hear you'all are having a good time. I'm so jealous about how far ahead you are in the race to be cultured.
Aah, well keep writing.
Love you both,
Robyn

4:08 AM  
Blogger Grant Souder said...

robyn i didn't want to say anything but recently leah and her new friend started watching sex and the city from season 1. i am terribly sorry. don't worry though i won't tarnish that special bond. ok so i watched a few episodes. actually i am hooked again. i forgot how annoying miranda's hair is and she always wears those suits and ties.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Musty Attik said...

AHHH!!! Very jealous...but terrified of a plane. I'm glad you are enjoying yourselves out there! Stick to the Bahasa...if it helps, I'm dealing with the same issue, but Spanish(way more spanish speakers than English in my school...odd...)...though, I think I'd rather deal with Spanish...
Stay safe and keep us posted! hautbois at comcast.net

Patrick

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Grant & Leah! it is so great to hear from you again! putting the pressure on baby Kade... but you are so right... he will be great! He should be arriving very soon. I miss you guys! and I really wish you were here right now, but I look forward to seeing you this summer! Can't wait to read your updates on the blog. put more pictures up!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Grant and Leah,
As always I love reading your posts. Thanks for keeping us all updated. I am totally jealous of your adventures, but thankful that you are getting to have them. Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of you guys on the bike, very cute.
Nashville is going great. I landed my dream job, I am a summer camp director for the Girl Scouts, year-round, full-time. Totally rules. Jeff's playing music, of course.
Love you both and miss you lots.
Laura

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home